Formatting rules

Formatting rules

Are there any guidelines as to what formatting is preferred for the best conversion result?

I've uploaded to Smashwords, after basically simplifying the font selections and adding a TOC manually. Their process gave me feedback on errors too, which helped get a clean copy. In addition, I could review the finished copy. From what I can see here in the FAQ, looks like just upload a .doc file and the conversion happens.
      Note that not everything you can stick in a Word document will make a good e-book. Epub is HTML, I don't know how Amazon is built up inside, and PDF is entirely different once again.

Keep the style clean, don't use fancy fonts, don't go overboard on links (they can confuse the reader) unless you write a reference manual.

If Smashwords says something is okay, you're fine in most other places with that document.

ravensview wrote:

Are there any guidelines as to what formatting is preferred for the best conversion result?
      I've uploaded to Smashwords, after basically simplifying the font selections and adding a TOC manually.

I totally agree with PaulKater, that a clean layout avoiding text boxes, fancy fonts or columns is the easiest way to get a valid ebook. The linked TOC will be created by us according to the headings or your TOC.

ravensview wrote:

In addition, I could review the finished copy.

The finished ePub and mobi file can be downloaded in your account.